Comprehensive Legal Support for Motorcycle Accident Victims Across Allen County
Despite a nationwide decline in fatal motorcycle accidents, Indiana has seen an alarming rise. These accidents are often the result of negligent driving but can also be caused by defective roadways or motorcycle parts. Motorcyclists are particularly vulnerable on the road due to their lack of protective covering.
At McKibben Law, LLC, our experienced Fort Wayne motorcycle accident attorney understands the devastating impact of a serious accident. We offer comprehensive legal services to handle all aspects of your personal injury claim or lawsuit, allowing you to focus on recovery. Our team is prepared to fight for your rights, even when insurance companies refuse to provide adequate compensation.
Our Fort Wayne motorcycle accident attorney is an expert in recovering the compensation you deserve after an injury. Call our team today at (260) 777-0844 to schedule a consultation.
The aftermath of a motorcycle accident can be overwhelming, but taking the right steps can be crucial for protecting your legal rights. Immediate medical attention is crucial after an accident, regardless of whether you believe you've been injured or not. Some injuries, such as traumatic brain injuries, may not be immediately apparent and can manifest days or weeks later. So, it's important to undergo a thorough medical examination, including necessary tests and imaging.
Key steps to take after a motorcycle accident include:
- Seek immediate medical treatment: Immediately visit an emergency room, urgent care center, or primary care doctor.
- Follow up on medical advice: Adhere to the doctor’s treatment recommendations and continue your treatment until you are formally discharged.
- Obtain a police report: This report will provide a narrative description of the accident, identify eyewitnesses, determine fault, and indicate any citations issued.
- Document the damage: Keep photographs of any property damage and visible injuries from the accident.
- Consult with a lawyer: Before speaking to an insurance company representative or providing a recorded statement, consult with a lawyer and have them present during any conversations.
Gathering all relevant information and evidence is essential after a motorcycle crash. It’s equally important to seek legal counsel before engaging with insurance companies to ensure your rights are protected throughout what can be a challenging process.
Motorcycle accidents in Fort Wayne are often the result of driver negligence. However, they can also occur due to other factors, such as roadway defects or malfunctioning motorcycle parts. When a driver behaves irresponsibly, it can lead to serious injury to many parties. Behavior like speeding, reckless driving, tailgating, unsafe lane changes, distractions like programming a GPS or texting, and driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs can all lead to injurious accidents.
The primary causes of motorcycle crashes can be broadly categorized into:
- Negligent Driving: This is when a driver fails to act reasonably given the circumstances. Examples include speeding, engaging in reckless driving such as tailgating or making unsafe lane changes, and distractions like using a GPS device, listening to loud music, or texting while driving. In some cases, the driver may be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Impaired Driving: A driver with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08 percent or more is legally intoxicated. However, alcohol can impair the brain and delay reaction time even at lower levels, potentially causing serious accidents.
- Roadway Defects: Sometimes, accidents occur not because of negligent driving but due to poor road conditions. Large cracks, potholes, and loose gravel can cause motorcyclists to lose control and fall off their bikes, leading to severe injuries. The injured cyclist may then have grounds to file a claim against the responsible municipality.
- Defective Motorcycle Parts: Accidents can also result from faulty motorcycle components like wheels, handlebars, and braking systems. If a part is defectively manufactured or designed and leads to an accident, the victim could pursue legal action against the manufacturer or distributor.
While driver negligence is a significant factor in many motorcycle accidents, it's not the only cause. Understanding these various causes can help in the pursuit of legal action against the responsible parties after an accident.
In Indiana, there are clearly defined time limits within which a motorcycle accident claim must be filed, known as the statute of limitations. The standard timeline is two years from the date of the accident. Delaying the filing process could lead to forfeiture of the right to seek compensation, so it's crucial to have all necessary documents prepared and submitted promptly.
Key aspects of Indiana's statute of limitations include:
- Standard Deadline: A claim must be filed within two years following the accident.
- Loss of Rights: If you fail to file a claim within this time frame, you may lose the right to pursue compensation.
- Exceptions: The statute of limitations may vary depending on the circumstances. For example, if a government official is involved in an accident, it may be necessary to contact the relevant municipality sooner than the standard two-year deadline.
Understanding and adhering to these time constraints is fundamental to the success of your claim. In some cases, the time limit may differ, particularly when a government entity is involved. To ensure your claim in filed promptly, schedule a consultation with our Fort Wayne motorcycle accident attorney after an accident. Our legal team will ensure you don't miss any critical deadlines in your pursuit of justice and compensation.
How the Legal Team at McKibben Law, LLC Can Help
When faced with injury claims, individuals often attempt to navigate the process on their own to save money. While obtaining an offer isn't typically challenging, securing the most beneficial one is crucial.
Our legal team will provide comprehensive assistance by:
- Determining Liability: We will identify who is responsible for the accident.
- Assessing Losses: We'll evaluate your past and future losses from the accident.
- Filing Injury Claims: We'll handle the filing of all necessary injury claims on your behalf.
- Providing Evidence: We ensure your claims are substantiated with robust evidence.
- Securing Fair Settlement: We'll strive to ensure that you receive a just settlement.
Having a clear understanding of your rights and options following a motorcycle accident is crucial. At McKibben Law, LLC, we realize choosing a personal injury lawyer can be challenging, as there are so many options. Our team brings decades of experience handling various types of injury cases with insurance firms and in civil courts.
Our seasoned Fort Wayne motorcycle attorney will work hard to ensure you receive a fair compensation for your losses. Call us today at (260) 777-0844 for a free consultation.